Believing that all children can achieve success, Petersburg Primary has many programs in place to ensure instruction, implementation, and interventions are being used on a daily basis.
- RTI literacy intervention teacher works with small groups of children daily.
- Benchmark writing and mathematics assessments allow teachers to drive instruction towards learners needs.
- Three tiers of Balanced Literacy instruction are used during the reading block and throughout the day.
- Common Core standards based activities are used in English language arts and mathematics instruction.
- Continued Fountas and Pinnell leveled reading assessments drive individualized instruction.
- Continuous MAP Assessments in reading, math, and language arts provide additional assessment data.
- Focusing on writing strategies, the writing process, and incorporating writing workshops in the classroom, beginning with Thinking Maps as a way of organizing information graphically for younger learners.
- All kindergarten, first, and second grade classes provide a two hour block in the morning for small group literacy instruction.
- District provided new computers in two computer labs and the media center for student usage; including additional computer software, Promethean Boards, classroom teacher and student stations, and printers to enhance instruction.